Hi all, well you wait and wait for our rally week end, and then all of a sudden the rally week end is upon us. This year saw the dawn of a new era, as Peter Hales is now our new Rally organizer, as John stepped down at the last AGM. As a club I think we owe John our gratitude as John,  ably assisted  by Nora, has over many years done a sterling job as our rally sec, Thanks both you deserve a well earned rest.

Saturday saw Pat and I turn up at Bryngarw to be greeted by our friends from the Cornwell club and the Hereford club.  Peter had for the Saturday organized   a very pleasant amble through the Vale of Glamorgan, ending up at Ogmore by sea, a place Pat and I have never visited before, we all enjoyed an ice-cream and watched as a surfing competition was taking  place, a bit windy but very interesting.

It was soon time to make our way back to Bryngarw, as our BBQ chef, aka Arthur, had the BBQ well under control. I must say the Saturday night BBQ, is one of the high lights of the week end, and every year it is better attended than the last, well done to Arthur for all his hard work. Also a big thank you must go to Pat White, for here homemade and very scrumptious centenary cake. Thanks Pat. After some very filling tucker, and a few glasses of the red stuff it was time for my bed.

Sunday dawned bright and sunny, and soon the A7s were rolling in, Peter and me doing our best to arrange the 7s in date order, while Pat busied herself setting up the regalia stand, and Jan and Nora set up the raffle stall.

 I will not say too much about rally day apart from saying that I always find our rally to be a very friendly and casual affair, where we can catch up with and friends and club members we only see occasionally.  Well that is it from Pat and me, only to say, thanks to all who helped make our rally a great success and for Peter taken on the job as Rally sec, .More of the same next year. S&P

The Centenary Rally. Or the ‘Bash’ 2022

It all started for me, when along with John Williams we attended an A7 Association meeting. Over four years ago now, where the 100 year celebration was discussed, and where would it all happen. Well the A7 centenary committee   eventually decided on the Fire Collage at Morton-on Marsh, in the Cotswold. And what an inspired decision that turned out to be.

 When the day dawned when we able to book our tickets to the event, so that  saw Pat and me up at 12.45 a.m. too book our camping place and trailer parking, and entry tickets. Just as well, as places sold out fast. It was a few months to the event and time seem to go slowly, but the day soon dawned and as Pat and myself along with a number of club member who had also volunteered to help out at the “bash” we were able to arrive at the Fire Collage on the Sunday, too help out.

So, on entry day Tuesday,  saw  Pat myself,   alongside Pat and Sara White, on reception duties booking  in all the A7 folk  while this was going on Howard, Liz, John and Linda were on “meet and Great” duties. And Arthur was on trailer park patrol.

I won’t go on too much, as there will no doubt be more Write up’s on the event in our mag. So I will just mention the high light for Pat and me. The weather was fantastic, hot and sunny the whole week, apart from the morning of Prescott, when it rained just enough to get Pat and myself very wet. Still hay ho. But when we dried out, the spectacle of standing by the Bugatti terrace and watching the A7 works Twin cam and the Rubber Duck/Dutch Clog go up the hill was something I will remember for a long time.

Another high light for Pat and me was meeting up with the family who had bought our RK Saloon, and had driven their RK all the way from Basel, Switzerland. Also all our  club members who were  at the bash all meeting up every night for a few pints and a good natter, and of course all the Austin 7’s that were  on display, many models that I had only seen in photographs.   And the pop up archivist museum, that was put together so well by Hugh and all his team, I could have spent hours in the rooms.  All so very interesting.

Well that’s our take on the Centenary Bash. Great company, great weather, Great nightly entertainment. Topped off with a Spitfire flying display, only one complaint, all over too soon.



Hi All, Well October saw us on our postponed   trip to North Wales which  had to be cancelled back in March; it was time for North Wales one more time. The run up followed much the same as previous years. Pat and I met John and Nora, on the Brecon bypass just after 10.25am. Then we set off on a rout that John had mapped out which mean a bit off zig zaging, to view some outstanding vistas, (more to follow).

So off we set, travelling up the A470 too Buith Wells where we stopped for refreshments, and to take on fuel, we then set off heading for Rhayader then on to Llangurig then turning on to the A44 for Llanidoes. This where the” fun” started we turned on to the B4518 so we could take in the fantastic views of the Llyn Clgwedog Dam.  But to get there we had to travel on a  narrow and very steep  B  road spending a good time in first gear or standing on the brakes, but when we got there the view was more than worth it. What made it so impressive was the whole day was spent in glorious sun shine and warm weather, and the view of the dam, and looking down the valley, was very impressive indeed, you could just as easily have been in Switzerland .On leaving the dam we set off for Dolgellau, and a much needed pit stop, we left Dolgellau refreshed and ready for the final push on too our hotel for the four night break. We arrived at the very smart Bodelwyddan Castle hotel at 6.15pm. Milage covered by our Ruby on the day was 201miles.

After booking in and freshening up Pat and I made our way too the hotel lounge, for refreshments and meet the rest of our party, before we all went in for our evening meal. It was very nice to catch up with Terry and Ruth Pool and their daughter, Ceri and Gary Ceri’s partner.  Our friends from the Hereford club, Ed and Ann, Frank and Sue, and Roly.

Next day we were joined by Del and Linda, who joined us on a run too Llandudno on the way we passed the castle at Abergele where they were setting up for the next series of” I’m a Celebrity get me out of here”. (Never watch it)  As a bit of a surprise we went too Del and Linda’s son’s school, Ysgol-Bod-Alan.  Where all the pupils are taught in the medium of welsh, Dafydd, Del and Linda’s son is the head there and arranged a warm welcome from all the young pupils, who all seemed very impressed with our “funny looking old cars”. John and Nora’s A7 will be 90 years old soon so all the pupils sung happy birthday to the car, of course they sang the song in Welsh

On leaving the school we made our way to Llandudno, where John, now Dr John preformed a most delicate procedure on Del’s car but the prognosis was not good it was terminal, and Del will need to buy a new part.  

We all then made our way up the Great Orme, A very steep climb, but worth it, but were very windy and cold, people gathered around us and started talking about our cars and most could not believe that we drove our cars up to the top of the Orme. On Leaving the Orme all following John we went down a single track road, stopping at a most interesting Church, where interned there is the grave of the first lady Beatrice Browne to drive a motor car up to the top of the Great Orme, in about 1900? By now time was getting on so travailing through Conwy on the North Wales express way at great speed back to our hotel to get ready for the night.

The next day Wednesday, we were joined again by Del and Linda, who had planned a full day sightseeing tour.  Leaving our hotel at 10.00am heading for Llanlwy, then stopping off at Llansannan,a very interesting village, on too Llanfair Talhaearn,heading for our lunch stop at  the Old Stag Llangernyw on the way there we were treated too some fantastic views of the North Wales coast and later views of Eryri/Snowdonia. The Old Stag inn is a very interesting inn dating back to c.1650.our lunch time” tucker” was very kindly laid  on by Del and Linda. After a pleasant lunch break, we all paid a visit to the village church of St Digain’s, and visited the reputed oldest tree in the UK. I will not say what happened there, but what happens on tour stays on tour,

Leaving the tree we all headed off to spend time in a most interesting museum, dedicated to the 1950s we could have spent more time there but we had to leave, and make our way back to the hotel for more food and entertament.

The next dayJohn had arranged a short run, over to the river Dee, passing through Holywell, Mostyn, and stopping of to have  a very nice coffee and  cake break, at a complex that back in the 1800s was a lead mine. All fed and watered we made our way back to the hotel for our last night together

Friday morning arrived, time to say farewell too our Hereford friends, as they went one way home and, John Nara, and us, along with Terry Pool and Co made our way down the A487 stopping off at the Corris craft centre and coffee stop  we said our farewell’s to Terry and party, then four of us made our way home. Travelling through Aberystwyth, along the coast road, too Carmarthen, Then pulling over too say our goodbye’s, we headed home, arriving home at 6 30pm happy but bushed.

There are a few things that Pat and I would like to say, and that is once again thanks to John and Nora for one more very successful  trip too N. Wales, and  too all the A7 “gang”.

 Quote of the trip.” I have been thrown out off better places than this”